The Medela Symphony breast pump is Medela’s hospital grade, electric double dump. It is designed for long-term single or double pumping and can even be used hands-free with the Easy Expression option (which is sold separately). All parts of the Symphony that come in contact with your breast milk are BPA free.
All Medela pumps use what they call the “2-Phase Expression Technology”. This technology is based on the research of Dr. Peter Hartmann, a world renowned lactation expert. The technology imitates a babies sucking, making your pumping very efficient. You will express more milk in less time. This Expression Technology is what sets Madela pumps apart from their competition.
Medela Symphony Breast Pump Design
The Symphony is made for daily use. It has a sturdy construction, is yellow and the unit weight is just under 7 lbs (3.2 kg). Even at this weight, the Symphony does have battery and vehicle power options.
The fully assembled pump is shown in the picture below.
The Medela Symphony Electric Breast Pump has many excellent features.
- Efficiency based on its 2-Phase Expression Technology
- Electric with battery and vehicle power options
- All parts that touch breast milk are BPA free
- Hospital Grade – Can be used by many (each must have own breast pump kit)
- Can be used as a rental unit
- Designed for long term daily use
- Single or double pumping options
- Adjustable speed and vacuum control to maximize your comfort
- Hands-free pumping option (with additional purchase)
The Medela Symphony Electric Breast Pump normally sells for around $1,500. This is in-line with competing electric, hospital-grade breast pumps. The Symphony comes with many nice features and excellent reviews.
The package includes:
- 1 x Motor unit
- 1 x Container
- 1 x Stand
- 1 x Program Card
Ratings and Reviews
I find that Amazon reviews provide great insight into the quality of a product and so we have included the Rating and the number of reviews for you to see here.
The Medela Symphony BreastPump Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (35+ Reviews)
Videos of the Medela Symphony Breast Pump
This video gives an instructions on the use of this pump
And another instructional video from a different source
The 2-Phase Expression Technology clearly differentiates the Medela Symphony Breast Pump from the competition.
What I like:
- All parts that come into contact with breast milk are PBA free, which is an absolute must
- The Symphony is well-built and durable, good for a unit that gets daily use.
- It is discreet. The motor is really quiet.
- You can plug the symphony in or operate it on 4 AA batteries (not included), or you can use the vehicle power unit.
- It has easy-to-use vacuum controls that let you pick which setting provides you with the most comfortable use.
- Medela has an excellent reputation.
Overall the Medela Symphony breast pump is a great device. It gets excellent reviews from its many users. The Symphony is designed for hospital or rental use. It is very sturdy, yet at the same time it gives you the quality, including the 2-Phase Expression Technology, that you have come to expect from Medela.